500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, April 4, 2024

June Moon: A Board Book Lynn Becker, Nate Carvalho (Illustrator)

 

Publication May 21, 2024

Lyrical and sweetly dreamy, this one takes us through a child's day in a fun way. There are lots of little touches throughout within the pictures that add to the atmosphere without being disruptive. Let's face it, the goal is to lull a child into dreamland. My favorite was the parrot on the Pirate Moon pages.  The moon has a cloud teddy, too, at one point so look for it. Grin.

While I'd wish for more of a story, this one was cute and has the nice lyrical repetition that helps lull children to sleep. There's an emphasis on routine, too, as we see the child initially at play, then things slow as the day wanes and bedtime approaches. The colors are largely pastels and at one point the sky seems to even be swirling in the distance, a nice touch. The word choice is simple with repetition, ie nothing jarring to jolt one out of a sleepy mode. There's some whimsy to the story which, again, I wish had been a bit more substantial. The ending seemed abrupt, too, though maybe that was just me. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute book, just not quite what I expected. Much of the humor, which is always a bit plus to me, was conveyed in the illustrations, I'll note. Still, for younger children, this book should be a nice touch, with soft colors and lyrical repetition to help them drift off to sleep after their bedtime routine.  Thanks #NetGalley and #Familius for sharing this sneak peek with me. Made me feel like summer was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...