500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, May 26, 2023

Notes to Share, from Rebel Girls


 Available July 28, 2023

I honestly wasn't quite sure what the expect in this book, maybe because I'm long-winded and, well, for me notes are long. I'm glad I didn't pass it by, however, as it reminded me, one, no, all notes don't have to be long, and, two, the power of words. While Rebel Girls focuses on girls as a target audience, I decided as I went along that, quite frankly, this book could be a wonderful tool for all ages, whether parent-child, friends, teachers, or people you'd like to give a boost. male or female. True, the offerings are female centered but the words have a wide application. 

It's no secret that I've become a huge Rebel Girls fan. Here you have a note for every day of the year, including a birthday. They range from quick bits of info, like the bicycle racer who received a pig as a prize, to silly jokes that often rely on word-play, to suggestions for personalized notes, such as "When you get home, let's___!" or "If your day was a movie, what would the title be?" I'm still pondering that one. 

One of the things I liked best was that the notes didn't focus on today's popular figures alone. Sure, they're there, but so are figures like Cleopatra, Josephine Baker, Amelia Earhart, and Beatrix Potter. Did you know she kept a diary written in code? Do you know who Mary Westmacott is? How about Agatha Christie? One and the same. And...oh, so many fascinating quotes and bits of wisdom mixed with jokes, ideas for notes, even a place to make your own doodle of the day, all affirmative and interesting and many offering a laugh.  

As noted above, it should appeal to many, not just parents. It's fully illustrated, with each note taking just a singled page. Rebel Girls labeled it a "novelty book" and it is certainly that. Once again, Rebel Girls has a winner.Thanks to #RebelGirls and #NetGalley for allowing me a sneak peek that, gasp, made me think. I mean, what would the movie title for your day be called?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...