500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

In Stitchness and in Health, by Reagan Davis and narrated by Zim Avaltrades AUDIO

 


 A Knitorious Murder Mystery, Book 10     AUDIO -- 6h and 3m
 
It's been awhile since I read the print version of this one, so it was fun to revisit Harmony Lake and hang out with Meg and her circle of friends. I won't detail the plot as others will have done so, so will simply say it starts with  celebrity wedding planning and ends up with a murder investigation, all while Meg and Eric finalize their whirlwind wedding plans. I grew to love the people of Harmony Lake and bet you will, too, so it was fun to hear their voices, so to speak. Narrator Zim Avaltrades does an admirable job given the size of the cast. The beginning of each chapter is simply announced, ie "Chapter 4", and the only voice I could quibble with was that of Eric, whose dialogue seemed a bit too measured, for lack of a better word. Then again, he's a cop, so a thoughtful, measured rate does seem an appropriate choice even if it threw me. 
 
As for the mystery, as noted, it was satisfactory if a bit sad. I'd actually forgotten whodunit since it's been some time since I read the book but even then it took me some time to put the clues in order again, so kept even a former, albeit forgetful reader guessing. Sophie the dog, a corgi, is, of course, a favorite of mine, especially with her newfound bilingual abilities. You're just going to have to trust me on that but it'll all make sense at the end. You'll also marvel at Meg's relationship with ex-husband Adam, father of daughter Hannah.
 
Bottom line, it was fascinating to see the community members come forward to support Meg and Eric when they....oh, oops, never mind. I almost gave away a plot twist and, trust me, there were a few as well as parallel story lines and viable suspects. Author Reagan Davis, who provided me with the audio code, weaves a good story with likable people who could be out own neighbors, an adorable corgi, and intriguing mystery. Put it all together and you've got another winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...