500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Chasing Dreams: The True Story of the Youngest Female Tevis Cup Champion, by Sanoma Blakeley

 

Publication July 25, 2023

Although I was a horse crazy girl, I never tried endurance riding. I just didn't have the discipline. A couple friends did, however, try a few far shorter races than the Tevis Cup and I utilized some of their memories in one of the first stories I ever sold. Therefore, you can probably understand why I actually spent some moments just looking at the cover and going, "Wow!" in my mind. I'm happy to say, the book itself was a "Wow!", too. 

I also spent some time chuckling as I read the history of the Tevis Cup. I live in Alaska where sled dogs and the Iditarod race are frequent topics and the background of the races have similarities. Both started to prove the toughness of the animals in comparison to those of the past. Both take place in isolated, difficult to transverse territory with few spectators. Frequent stops are required for vet checks where the animals can be pulled by the vet for any variety of issues. Of course, in the Tevis Cup, unlike the Iditarod with its teams of dogs, your horse being eliminated by the vet means you are done whereas in the Iditarod, assuming the rest of the team is healthy, mushers may continue with simply fewer dogs. The animals come first, however, whether horse or dog in these contests. "To Finish Is To Win" is a motto of both, I note.

Sanoma Blakeley was fifteen when she entered and won the Tevis Cup but had been riding and competing since, well, almost forever. Horses were her life. a passion she shared with her family. And, oh, btw, her father and mother met in Ketchikan, Alaska, another Alaska tie for me. More amazingly, Goober, the horse that would carry her to victory in the Tevis Cup was found on Craigslist for free. I won't detail the race, part of the fun is feeling like you're in the saddle with Sanoma as they transverse trails with 36,000' of elevation and so narrow your stirrup scraps the side of the hill with a thousand foot drop off on the other side. Take a look at the cover photo if you have any doubt of the physical and mental strain on both the horse and rider. 

Yet, it's the bond between Sanoma and Goober, in particular, that pulls you in. I was charmed by her early tales of life with Midnight, that first horse that teaches us how to live and love horses, but Goober was special. If you don't feel anxiety and come near tears at the end. you've simply never had that undying bond with an animal yet. 

Highly recommended to anyone who loves horses, any animal really, and a good, "can-do" story. My sincere thanks to #NetGalley and #SantaMonicaPress for giving me this sneak peak. I absolutely loved her love for family and deep love and respect for all the horses in her life, not just Goober. I haven't been on a horse in years but suddenly felt the urge to go at least share a carrot or two with one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...