500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, May 4, 2023

Death of a Clam Digger (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #16), by Lee Hollis

 

Publication July 25, 2023

Boom, boom, boom. Things moved along at a rapid clip, one after another. I mean, it barely gave me time to take a deep breath when Hayley had some uncharacteristic self-doubts and the action paused...briefly. Aside from that, the fast pace of the story keeps you reading, wondering what will happen on the next page or two, meaning you should probably not start reading until you have a bit of time. If you're like me, you'll find yourself clicking along at that boom, boom, boom pace until the end. What fun!

Hollis is a favorite author and I have particularly enjoyed this series, so it's no surprise I liked it. My only qualm, which may have more to do with the timing of my read than the book itself, was that I shuddered at certain characters frequent resorting to violence and even guns. Despite the blurb mention of Romeo and Juliet vibes, it frequently felt more like we were caught in the crossfire between the Hatfield and McCoy clans, Hayley's attempts to divert encounters were both amusing and relatively useless, but I liked that she tried. I have to admit to having a sense of relief later at Mona's eventual realization about the shortness of life, so to speak. Oh, and then they find the body.

Who murdered a dying man? Why are Vera and Mona usually at each other's throats? Will young love conquer all? What does a potential seafood company have to do with anything? Could Hayley's husband Bruce really be tempted to stray? Will Hayley's asking of questions be dangerous? Oh, never mind. Of course it will be but, well, she just can't help it. No more teasers. Read the book. My mood going into the book aside, it's a fun read you'll be unlikely to be able to put down. 

And, that includes salivating over the recipes at the conclusion of each of Hayley's Island Food and Spirits column inserts every few chapters. Hey, there are even recipes for dips and cocktails! Don't skip the columns, btw. They offer great insights into the characters backgrounds and interactions, insights that will frequently help you sort out the mystery. Or, well, not. At least you'll have a dip or cocktail to ponder over.

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensigntonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for inviting me back to Bar Harbor, Maine. Hope things are a tad calmer my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...