500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

How the Murder Crumbles, by Debra Sennefelder


Publication June 20, 2023

I loved the idea behind the cookies from Mallory Monroe's cookie shop, which might be described as cookie bouquets or floral typed theme arrangements, only with cookies, not flowers. The cover photo looks delightful and is what first drew me to the book. As with most first books in a new series, however, it tended to build  slowly as we were introduced to the various characters in Wingate, Connecticut, as well as their relationships with each other. Some were intriguing, some barely sketched out, leaving us much to learn in future books. 

For me, unfortunately, I found it difficult to connect with Mallory/Mal initially. We do learn her background in advertising, a skill that should prove helpful in navigating the promotional world of baking, but other than that she misses her aunt and that her boyfriend, Gil, was cheating on her, that was my foundation. Ironically, "Red",  real name Aspen, the "other woman" comes across as much more interesting. Although Mal did grow on me as the story went along, I hope Aspen sticks around. I mean, it can’t hurt to have a friend with a legal background, although not criminal law, unfortunately. Detective Will Hannigan shows promise, too, as someone who will not only be the romantic interest but someone who can help Mallory find her true self and inner strength. 

Of course, if there is a detective involved, it's a pretty good indication that there has been a crime. In this case, the question if "Who killed the Queen Bea, aka Beatrice Wright?" Who would kill over a cookie recipe? Although Mallory and Bea are overheard having an argument in her shop by no less than not just a local reporter but the detective himself, it turns out that the potential list of suspects is lengthy. Are you surprised to hear that Mallory sets out to clear her name by asking questions? Of course you aren't. This is a cozy mystery, after all, and it just wouldn't be the same if the main character doesn't somehow put a target on their own back. That's part of the fun. Heck, Mallory even has to try and probe why one of her cookie decorating class members seems so unhappy. Mal is just that kind of person. 

Needless to say, there are lots of twists and red herrings. I never really managed to tie it all together neatly in my mind before the big reveal but all the clues are there. While I was slow warming up to Mallory, I will definitely be checking out the next book in the series to see how those tantalizing teasers at the end play out. Thanks #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for introducing me to those "they look too pretty to eat" cookies. Looking forward to seeing how this series develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...