500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Just Murdered: Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries, by Katherine Kovacic


 Publication Jan. 10, 2023 

Since I hadn't seen the tv screenplay by Deb Cox this is based on, I began the book with no expectations. The dialogue rang true and it was easy to visualize how much of the action would play on the screen.

The supporting characters were intriguing, from the thoroughly unlikable Inspector Sparrow, to the strong, multi-talented women of the Adventuresses' Club. I'd definitely like to know much more about them. Detective Steed seems a bit taken about by Peregrine but although constantly under pressure from Inspector Sparrow to arrest Sparrow's designated guilty party, shows promise. I see a budding romance coming. I also liked the growth seen in just this book of the female police officer, who Peregrine earned a few points on my respect monitor for standing up for. 

Unfortunately, after a promising opening, I found Peregrine Fisher to be less than charming. She was rather careless and not at all dependable from the very beginning. For example, her flippant attitude toward the poor woman in the hair salon's dilemma after she rushed out to be with her boyfriend without insuring someone would check the progress on the woman's treated hair, was uncaring and caused harm. I also found myself disliking her self-important attitude, especially given that we're frequently reminded she's failed at about everything she's tried, and her "in you face attitude" toward Detective Steed. As noted earlier, I did like that she stood up for the policewoman, however, a sign that maybe there was hope. She's definitely gutsy, gutsy and thinks quickly on her feet.

As the plot progressed, I found myself warming to her, however, and will definitely give future books of this series a chance, I just couldn't get into the idea that she was suddenly worthy of joining the seemingly exclusive Adventuresses' Club of the Antipodes. 3.5 overall, rounded to a 4.

Thanks #NetGalley and #PoisonedPenPress for introducing me to Peregrine, who I was warming up to as the book drew to a close. I hope they find her aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All You Need To Know About Dogs: By A. Cat (And Fred Blunt)

  Publication July 9, 2024 Look at the happy dog's face on the cover. That's the dog the author Cat has issues with. Then notice the...