500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Steeped in Secrets (A Crystals & CuriosiTEAS Mystery), by Lauren Elliott

 

Publication November 20, 2022

Wow. There is so much going on in this intro to a new series that I don't know where to start. I started out simply reading, no notes, but found myself grabbing a pen and paper at one point because there were so many different potential mysteries that I couldn't keep that straight. It speaks to author Lauren Elliott's talent that this only drew me into the story more, determined to figure out who did what, when, where, and why, and how the heck Shayleigh (Shay) Myers was connected to it all. I'm normally not particularly drawn to what I'll call magical or fantasy type stories but this one had me hooked, although I do wish a bit more explanation had been provided upfront regarding Shay's talents. I'm leaning toward that being intentional, however, as Shay herself seemed to be confused as she grappled with her sensory talents and how best to utilize them.

So, what happened to Bridget? Did she drown or was it murder? How or even is her death connected to the dead body found on the greenhouse roof? Why did she leave the business and cottage to Shay anyway? Do we know the real story of what happened to Shay and Jen's parents? How does Spirit know what he, well, seems to sense and know? How is some robbery in Shay's former business place connected? Why is Pierre hanging around? How did the sheriff, Burrows, overlook clues? Could he be the killer? How does Liam fit into the whole picture? Will Shay's magical pouch do it's work? Is Julia, the realtor guilty of anything except for wanting to make a big sale? 

And, oh, "a chara".... enough teasers. "A chara" means "my friend in Gaelic, by the way. There is a great deal to unpack from this book, the first in a new series. I'm already looking forward to the next book, especially after that ominous teaser near the end. Putting it on my MUST read list right now, just as you should be putting this one on your TBR list. 

Thanks to #NetGalley and #KensingtonPress, not to mention #LaurenElliott for the fantastic trip into the suddenly magical life of Shay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...