500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, July 25, 2022

Former Guy: Doonesbury in the Time of Trumpism, by G. B. Trudeau

 

Publication Sept. 13, 2022

Trudeau is the master. I've read through the book now twice and still don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have to admit to, while not ignoring Trudeau's work, being less focused on it over the past years than I once was. As a result, as I enjoyed the collection here, I found myself smiling, even chuckling as I renewed old acquaintances, not to mention rolling my eyes and shaking my head. Not at the subject matter, no, but at the deft, humorous way events were presented. 

Your favorites seem to be here, from Zonker to Jimmy Crow, Mike, JJ, TRFF, Red Rascal, Roland Hedley, and more. The big hits just kept coming, from lies to election fraud, voting shenanigans, protests, conspiracy theories, and so much more. Covid was given its own cartoon character, btw, just as Buttsy(who makes a few appearances with Mr. Brewski) was used to represent smoking.

Once dubbed a "third rate talent" by the Former Guy, Trudeau has been drawing his "garbage" for some 52 years. Probably much to Trudeau's dismay, as huge a gift to comic and satirists as the Former Guy has been, most likely Trudeau wishes he'd had cause to spend less time focused on the Former Guy. Be that as it may (or may not) be, Trudeau's lens into the political world is as sharp as it's ever been. 

Thanks to #NetGalley and #AndrewsMcMeelPublishing for reminding me how much I've been missing my daily dose of Trudeau and just didn't know it. Needless to say, that's something I'm already working on fixing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...