500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska, by Bonnye Matthews

 

Illustrations by Jacques Polomé and Anthony LeBeau

Quite frankly, I didn't expect to be as caught up in the story as I was. I found myself almost immediately transported into the story and way back in time to the time of Alaska's dinosaurs. I wanted to know how it all happened, how it turned out, especially for Pakky. In other words, author Bonnye Matthews did a great job of converting my idle curiosity into "must know" intent, not easy since I must admit to not being particularly into dinosaurs. I even found myself staring out the window of my home in Alaska pondering that time so very long ago. The history of my adopted state never fails to amaze me. 

Although there is plenty of serious information shared here, Matthews does it in a story fashion, making female juvenile dinosaur Pakky's eyes the ones we view that world through. It was fascinating to read the possibilities of how the dinosaurs lived. Given what seems to be proven very small brains, especially for their size, how did they survive the harsh, changing climate/environment in which they found themselves. As Matthews notes in a memorandum at the end, she is only speculating on their possible use of what I dubbed sound and smell memories. Young dinosaurs would surely have had to learn that certain sounds and smells meant danger, hence this theory seemed plausible. 

It was also fun to imagine a young dinosaur's first encounter with snow or, gulp, an earthquake. Set in the area between the Brooks Range and Arctic Ocean, even though it was much warmer 70 million years ago, the cycle of life meant winters were harsh.  Real dinosaurs have left tracks, an imprint on the earth if you will, so the setting is real. Seeing it all through Pakky's eyes brings it to life. 

As a former teacher, I found the volume of information shared impressive. As you read the story, and an adult would need to read it for younger readers, you almost forget you are learning as you get caught up in Pakky's thoughts (can we say dinosaurs thought?) and sensory observations. It was only when I hit the end of the book and was going through the extra material, which included three crosswords (and answers), that it even dawned on my retired teacher brain how much I'd learned as I read. The discussion questions provided only solidified that observation. Comparison charts, reference lists, words games, and the author's own musings on her speculations in this children's fiction book were a plus. To top it all off, there are photos at the end, including from the Museum of the North in Fairbanks and (closer to me) Anchorage's Museum of Science and Nature. 

If you're a teacher or simply interested in dinosaurs or, for that matter, Alaska's history, this book should be a must. As I said, I'm not even particularly into dinosaurs but the Alaska connection pulled me in. Hard to believe, looking out my window, that dinosaurs once roamed here. Kudos to Bonnye Matthews for tapping my curiosity and holding it. I didn't even let the temptation to start coloring some of the drawings provided deter my reading but, hey, now that I'm finished, hmmm....

Thanks #NetGalley and #FathomPublishingCompany for reminding me how very much I still have to learn about my own home state.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...