500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, February 25, 2022

Murder Most Grave (Granny Reid #4), by G.A. McKevett


Small town. Check. Cute (mostly) kids. Check. Dog. Check. Hunky sheriff. Check. Good friends. Check. Murder. Check. Er, make that double check. Double murder. And I wasn't sure who did it until the end, so this one keeps you guessing. It also was fun to visit an ol' favorite's, ie the Savannah Reid series, and see what Savannah and the rest of her siblings were like as children. I have a real soft spot for Waycross, I have to admit.

In any case, while the murder is the focus, we get to see the younger version of Grannie, aka, Stella Reid, and her relationship with the sheriff, Manny, develop. Although all her thought of him in the story sometimes seemed a bit much, the use led to a dramatic ending. I've also got to mention that having grown up in the South, albeit Florida, not Georgia, I felt myself falling right into the rhythm the use of so many Southern colloquialisms conjured up. Heck, I found myself jotting down several as I read simply because, "I swear on my mama's best pecan pie", they delighted me so. In fact, Manny sums up Stella and Savannah nicely at one point with, "You Reid gals are full of sass and vinegar". Is it any wonder Stella gets all "twitterpated" at times when she's around him?

Bottom line, an easy, fun read. Set in the 1980's, seemingly during the Bush-Dukakis presidential campaign, it's a fun trip back in time with delightful characters one will wish they could spend some time with. Thank you #NetGalley and #KensigntonBooks for inviting me to time travel back into McGill, GA, and enjoy their company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...