500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, February 28, 2022

ABC for Me: ABC The World Me: Let's take a journey around the world from A to Z!, by Christiane Engel


Pack your bags and grab your passport. You're about to embark on a fun trip. The closest site to my home in Alaska was the Yukon, so I started there and meandered about the globe taking it all in. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip just as much as a child, the real target audience, might, but did notice a few lovely touches I wanted to mention. Not only are different races showcases, but a wheelchair character keeps popping up. Lovely illustrations, both simple and detailed, if that makes any sense, to give one a feel for what they might encounter at the sites.

The former teacher in me can't help but note that not only do they illustrations provide a nice overview of each site but offer teaching opportunities, too. Those could be as simple as identifying colors used, finding various items in the pictures, or leading a discussion on why the clothing/buildings/structures are not all the same, among others. Art project? Have the children use construction paper to construct the various alphabet letters as they are shown in the photos and let them create their own take on the scenes. I'm sure you can come up with many other ideas. Although the text given might be more advanced than the child it is used for, it seemed easily adaptable to age. For now, I'm going back for a return visit. Yes, this big kid was enchanted by this book. I'd recommend it to parents and teachers everywhere, not to mention it'd make a wonderful gift for "big kids" who want to travel without leaving their homes. There's even a nice map at the end.

Thank you #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup – #WalterFoster for inviting me along on this fun, and, oh, so enchanting journey. It made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...