500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, September 13, 2024

A Corgi Conundrum, by M. Alfano

 

Publication October 23, 2024

A fun, quick read. Being a sucker for anything dog, let alone corgi, the title and cover pulled me right into this one. Heck, I think I spent more time fretting over Gus the corgi as the book progressed than I did the humans involved but, well, what can I say? In any case, it was great to see Gus have a role to play.

Since this was my first read of this series, it did take me the expected brief time to feel comfortable with who was who and the various relationships, That's normal, of course, when one drops into an established series. While I wish I knew a bit more about Leslie's work as a groomer and the barndorminium  (sounds fascinating), I quickly felt at home with the characters. Now true, I rather marveled at Leslie and sidekick Sophia's willingness to dash headlong into potentially dangerous situations but, hey, that's pure cozy mystery behavior. You just know upfront that when the main character muses to themselves that there's surely no harm in doing this or that alone that, well, a rescue may soon be called for. I do hope Sophia leaves the youngest child at home safe next time, however.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and liked the various characters, even the quirky ones. Poor Principal Jake. I'm not sure finding his school secretary murdered was something he had a contingency plan for. As a retired teacher, I definitely grinned and nodded knowingly as the power of a school secretary was discussed. So true, so true. I won't discuss the plot, see the blurb, but finding a dead body certainly wasn't how Leslie expected to start her substitute teacher duties, of course. She's lucky to have the likes of boyfriend Adam, who just happens to be a detective, have her back, as does her little dog Bandit. Adam seems a steady sort, even when bailing Leslie (and others) out of unexpected danger and situations. I  mean, breaking into a school building? Especially one connected to a murder? Uh, not cool Leslie. Even though the suspect list is short, it's proving difficult to pinpoint the true guilty party, keeping you guessing. Seriously, who'd want to kill a school secretary anyway?

Bottom line, this was a relatively quick, enjoyable read and I'll definitely be checking out the next in the series.Not only do I hope to see Leslie's dog grooming role play a bigger part of the story but I want to keep up with corgi Gus. My own corgi mix, Daisy, can vouch that while I'm a sucker for all things dogs, toss a corgi into the mix and I'm there. Thanks #BookSirens for allowing me to be there for this early peek at Leslie's life, friends, and dogs. I'm looking forward to following this series to see where that ending takes us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...