500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The Body in the Lighthouse (A Georgina Drake Mystery #4), by Kate Hardy

Publication October 29, 2024

I'm hooked. Once I started reading, I was compelled to finish. I've come to like Georgina, Colin, and the cast of characters that surrounds her. It's a pleasure to see a main character who actually works with the police, not against them, and doesn't hesitate to share any info gathered. Nor does she go dashing off into dangerous situations, something few of our other favorite amateur sleuths can boast of. She's smart, cares about others, and able to sort out things not always obvious to the frequently overworked and stressed Colin. I have to admit to patting myself on the back, of course, for picking up on a missed clue before it became important, so maybe I'm getting better at this sleuthing thing, too. Toss in Georgina's spaniel Bert, who has the not-so-desired trait of digging up bodies, and it's a fun read.

The author does an excellent job of mixing myth and history, fuzzy as some of the events were in most memories. I won't detail the plot as I don't want to give away too much as the twists and turns are part of the fun, not to mention they make our brains work We're reminded of a history within the lifespan of many of us, however, when acceptance of differences was not common and those who wavered from the expected path might face danger. Everyone has secrets but, as the book notes, secrets kept can fester. This time they lead to murder. Who killed developer Eliot Manson and his girlfriend? Why? As it turns out, the list of suspects is a long one. There's also the matter of the human bone Bert digs up? Who was it? Why were they buried at the lighthouse? Does the legend of Black Shuck, a huge mastiff that once seen means you only have a week to live, have something to do with this situation? Priests' holes? What is Georgina learning about Colin during all this, well, aside from reaffirming his fatigue at being compared to Mr. Darcy? Oh, and so many Shakespeare references, too. What's up with that? 

Bottom line, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are likable, people whose situations most can relate to, and the setting is lovely. You'll learn some history, not to mention Shakespeare quotes, and get to hang out with some adorable dogs. And, oh, I can't forget Doris. Doris is a ghost heard only by Georgina via her hearing aid. I feared Doris might be gone after the last book so was delighted to see her pop up again, especially with news of her beloved Harrison. She's able to be part of the investigation, too, an extra plus. Colin remains a tad stuffy but we learn more of his backstory, too, one that impacted his life, so he's making strides forward with Georgina. Thanks #StormPublishing for allowing me this early look at all that is going on in Georgina's world. As an amateur photographer myself, I found myself drawn to her initially and have come to like her a great deal. I'm looking forward to the next book to see if my hunch about what secret she's keeping from Colin is right, not to mention if she'll actually share it with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Feta Watch Out, by Linda Reilly

  Publication Nov. 19, 2024 I came for the mystery and stayed for the characters. Okay, the characters and all the grilled cheese mentions. ...