500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, May 9, 2024

The Body Under the Stage (Georgina Drake #3), by Kate Hardy


 Publication June 18, 2024

Although I'd recommend you read the first two books in the series before tackling this one, it isn't absolutely necessary. After the first chapter it all began to become clear to me who was who and how everyone was connected. That said, as a new to the series reader, I must admit to being a bit thrown by the first chapter. What I was reading didn't seem to match the blub. I pressed on, however, and am glad I did. By the time the second chapter was complete, I was hooked. I liked the characters and how connected they were, not to mention that Doris' story was both heartbreaking and intriguing. She's a ghost, btw, and you'll know her story well by the time the book ends. Georgina Drake, our main character, and her daughter Bea have a wonderful, very open relationship, although Georgina's ability to catch Bea's "tell" is surely annoying to Bea. Bea herself is a talented actress in what appears to be her first major role, at least one that can help make her career, but her side job helping people trace their family tree/history is one I haven't really encountered in a cozy mystery before. I found that both intriguing and, since I've worked off and on for years on my own family tree, fascinating. And, let's see, Colin, the detective and the romantic interest for Georgina is a good man and we do get to hear some of his viewpoints/feelings as the story goes along, which helped me, as a first time reader of this series, become more familiar and comfortable with the characters. But, hey, let's not forget Bert. Bert's a dog, a spaniel with a knack for finding dead bodies it appears. Yep, I need to get hold of the first two books and catch up.

As for the mystery, it's an intriguing one with lots of nuances. Who killed self-centered actor Neil Faulkner? Why? Georgina, whose late husband was an actor, was asked to take publicity photos of rehearsals and gets to view him in action just before the murder. She's there to document the theater's production of Ma...., er, make that The Scottish Play, as it's most often referred to in the book due to long time superstition about the play. With Bea a potential suspect, as is the rest of the cast, Georgina is determined to help solve the case although, as it turns out, that isn't the only case she's involved with. There's a cold case, too, which involves Doris and, no lie, takes us to Abbey Lane and lots of Beatles references. I'm not really going to detail the plot further but it'll make you both smile and have your emotions tested. Everyone involved has a well-rounded backstory, including the victim(s), and as a history buff, I was fully drawn into the tale of England during the time of the Blitz. You'll pick up some theater history and lore, too, such as Pepper's Ghost, as you read, not to mention real life history of how England reacted to refugees, Jewish or not, during the war. It's a sad story, let's just say. 

Bottom line, despite my initial confusion, I wound up totally absorbed by this book and will definitely not only be following Georgina's story but catching up on the previous books. As a deaf character whose hearing aids are integral to the story, nope, not explaining, I loved the emotional roller coaster it took me on, though I'd recommend you keep some tissues handy for sections. The romance was low key but an important part of who Georgina (and you'll find out where her name came from) and Colin are. The ending was perfect. I gave a virtual fist pump and "Yes!" as I read it. Thank you so much #NetGalley and #StormPublishing for introducing me to these wonderful characters and their world. I'll definitely be back for more from author Kate Hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cursed Writer (The Baker Street Mysteries, #2), by Holly Hepburn

  Publication October 17, 2024 Journey back with me to 1930s London. Harriet/Harry White has a job that sounds at once both mind numbing ted...