500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Norma's War: a WWII Memoir, by Norma Thoeming, Gary Metivier (Editor)

 

Publication June 13,2023

It was a time of "an odd combination of adventure, excitement, fear, and terror" is how Norma Thoeming best described growing up during WWII. I found it a riveting read in it's basic simplicity. It was also hard not to find my thoughts straying to the children of Ukraine who are facing the same terrors while dealing with normal growing pains. 

Norma's  story, told to Gary Metivier, isn't fancy. The chapters are short, remembered in simple terms, and allow us to peek into the world of Norma's Bedford, England, life both before and after the war. Parents, can you imagine the horror of having your children handed a gas mask? Hearing that their school group was fired on from a passing German plane? Dealing with refugees being housed in your home? And that doesn't even include the anxiety and fears of an everyday life that without warning could suddenly include bombs being dropped on your neighborhood, one leaving a huge crater in front of your home. Life at home wasn't easy, either, with a troubled mother who simply walked out on them at one point, not to mention an energetic brother, full of mischief, who seems to have a knack for setting things on fire, all by accident, not that it made much difference. Norma's life as a working class girl wouldn't have been easy at any time but when the war came to their town, life was never to be the same.

To be honest, as noted, I found myself liking this book more than I had expected. Given how many WWII related books I've read in my life, that is a high compliment, particularly as it left me thinking about it long after I'd finished. I definitely recommend "Norma's War" to both history buffs and those wondering what life was really like when you hear about wartime England. Heck, read if you like a good story with interesting characters. Characters who were real people.

You'll be left with questions, of course. Remember, this is about a child's memories. And, I mean, was there really such a thing as a "siren suit"? I'm going to have to look that one up. In the meantime, thanks to #NetGalley and #LegacyBookPress - #IBPA for introducing me to Norma Thoeming. I'm all the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Summer Swap, by Sarah Morgan

  Publication May 7, 2024 How does one learn how to be true to oneself after a lifetime of repressing ones own needs and desires? Three wome...