500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, February 2, 2023

Paper Cuts, Secret, Book, & Scone Society #6, by Ellery Adams

 

Publication April 25, 2023

These books are a book lover's dream. Not only do you get an intriguing mystery with a depth of character throughout, but you get a bibliography and book list, all of which are mentioned in the story, not to mention a reader's guide. And, oh, yes, romance and deep friendships, too. Heck, we even learn a bit about the meaning behind different flowers often gifted.

Ironically, considering that I was slow to warm up to the series, it has become a regular on my "must read" list. The mysteries, and there are frequently more than one, are intriguing, but it's the depth of character that draws me back. No cookie-cutter types here, ie the always happy, bubbly best friend, the always grumpy relative, the....well, you get my drift. These characters are real people with lives, problems, issues, and emotional triggers. I felt like I could almost reach out through virtual space and feel the air vibrating erratically as Nora melts down when past meets present, so to speak. We feel her panic, sense her need to escape, leading to behavior that has ended is disaster before but, phew, not this time. Even as her friends circle about her, you can sense Nora's heaviness, then feel hope as she eventually grabs control back from her angst and fears. It isn't easy, and though I won't detail the plot, we go through several highs and lows with her. 

Another plus for the book is its inclusion of a neurodivergent child. Like many who are "different", he has a wonderful talent for origami, which Nora helps nurture. Relationships are complicated but I will note that he seems to have landed safely at the end. Hopefully we'll hear more about him as the series goes on. Another intriguing, albeit somewhat distant character is Deputy Hollowell. We don't know much about her yet but I'm sure more is coming given that she works closely with Nora's cop boyfriend, Grant. 

Finally, and I've just touched the surface of this book, one of the quotes at the beginning of each chapter stayed with me. To paraphrase, it reminds us that anger is more damaging to those who harbor it than to those who receive it. It's a Mark Twain quote. Another comment, this time within the story from Grant, notes that justice isn't always complete. Something to ponder as we read and go through life, I'd say. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonPress - #KensingtonCozies for simply allowing me to have Nora and her family of friends in my life. This series makes me think. True, not always pleasant thoughts, but thinking is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Summer Swap, by Sarah Morgan

  Publication May 7, 2024 How does one learn how to be true to oneself after a lifetime of repressing ones own needs and desires? Three wome...