500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

How to Raise a Happy Dog , by Sophie Collins


Publication April 11, 2023

Dogs are innately happy. If you haven't already figured that out, it says so in the introduction. Unlike humans who tend to worry and fret and over-think everything, dogs tend to live in the moment. Looking across the room at my own dog, now happily stretched out and content after her walk, it's easy to agree. It takes so little to make them happy that the idea behind this book, making them even happier, seems a no-brainer. But, let's not overdo it, okay? Just as every second of our days doesn't need to be busy, neither should we try to fill every moment of our dogs' lives. It'd be tiring for not just you, but them. 

That said, I liked the idea behind forgetting old ideas of dominance tough training and instead seeing your dog as an individual who both gives and deserves joy back. Not only are ideas on how to do this shared, some of which gave me pause while I couldn't wait to try others, but we get a crash course on doggie instincts, traits, behavior, and even dog food. Using my own dog as a model, it was fun to see what body language she might be sending me, not to mention that I had far more patience with her sniffing instincts on our walk today after being reminded of the role smell/scent plays in a dog's life.

Where I questioned the author most was in the suggestion that items like shoes and boxes be given to them to tear up. In theory, okay, some dog would probably enjoy that rush but, well, what wasn't really explained was how to ensure that they only rip into items given to them freely, not casually dropped by the door or couch. She also suggested you create a digging area for your dog. Again, in theory perhaps a fun idea but, well, although I've noted dogs tend to dig in the same areas repeatedly, they aren't inclusive. How do you keep a dog from diving enthusiastically into your flower bed instead of the more distant, boring spot under some bushes? 

For every suggestion that made me shake my head, "No. Just. No", or earned the stink eye from my Daisy dog, however, author Sophie Collins has a solid list of doable suggestions. She also offers up good suggestions on leash training, food choices, how to give your dog a good, basic massage, and even things to avoid. There's also an extra reading list shared at the end, offering other viewpoints and ideas. 

Bottom line, although I wasn't quite sold on all Collins' ideas, she offers us an easy to read, nicely structured book of the basics. One plus is the different sections based on the dogs' stage of life, from puppy days to senior dogs, with activity ideas to bring joy into all stages of their life. 

Thank you #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup - #IvyPress for letting me check out some ideas to make my Daisy dog's life a bit happier. I mean, it isn't like she's spoiled or anything. Grin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Summer Swap, by Sarah Morgan

  Publication May 7, 2024 How does one learn how to be true to oneself after a lifetime of repressing ones own needs and desires? Three wome...