500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Deceptive Designs (Cozy Corgi Mysteries Book 25), by Mildred Abbott

 

I've never made it a secret that I love this series. That said, I've grown tired of the Irons crime family connection popping up and had hoped that was behind us. Nope, they're back. Hopefully Abbott will allow them to fade away again so the focus remains on (Wini)Fred,and Watson, not to mention all the other interesting characters that have shown up over the series.

Don't get me wrong. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this book other than my own tendency to roll my eyes when the Irons topic pops up again. That also tends to mean, btw, a return appearance from.....oh, never mind. Long time readers know and we'll leave it a surprise for new readers. 

One hint, however, don't do the same thing I did, read the first three chapters, go, whoa, and put the book aside for awhile. Seriously, read at least four chapters so you don't spend time wondering what Abbott was thinking. As it turns out, phew, I was wrong and Abbott only did what any good author does, got my attention. 

It goes without saying, but there are plenty of scenes involving the ever growing dog population amidst our main characters. Phineas makes me smile jut thinking of the puppy energy and antics while, well, Watson makes me smile at his grumpy acceptance of pup antics and living for a t-r-e-a-t. Why am I typing it that way? Because that's one word you don't say unless you want to see one of Watson's moods. <insert grin>

So, all in all, despite my fatigue with the Irons thread, "Deceptive Designs" was a solid, enjoyable read. The title will make sense as you read and all our favorites are there, from Leo and Katie to the extended family and friends (and their dogs). The book will take you from Fred's sense that all was right in her world, not to mention that Katie's wedding is being planned, to a sudden darkening of mood. There are also signs that some of the characters are growing and evolving, always a plus in a long running series. 

If you enjoy dogs, family and friends who are family, not to mention a good mystery, give this one a read. Bet it'll leave you wanting to pet a puppy, well, right after you congratulate Fred for solving another crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puppy Love and Panic: A Talking Dog Cozy Mystery (Heywood Hounds Cozy Mysteries Book 4), by Carly Winter

  Publication May 23, 2024 Has not just a clever amateur sleuth but a cute puppy and talking dog. Daisy, the talking dog, and Mustard, the a...