500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Tailing Trouble, by Laura Scott


I find myself torn on rating this book. On the one hand there were parts I enjoyed greatly. On the other hand, well, there were times I was as annoyed as all get out at the characters. Grandpa Oscar, for instance, was fun and endearing until he got annoying. I'm not sure I can even explain my reactions to myself although, thinking it through, perhaps that makes these characters more real than most. They were complex characters, with often irritating traits that also managed to make them endearing. I did have to wonder, however, if Grandpa ever stopped to consider the danger his incessant snooping might be putting not just himself but Ally in as he ignores the cautions Noah, Ally's detective love interest, gives. Stuck in a senior living center and bored, however, Ally's grandfather is a force all to himself. It was when he began to overestimate his abilities and importance to the investigation that ceased to be entertaining, however, especially as he pulled Ally closer and closer to danger. Hopefully his self=awareness with improve.

I loved how Ally interacted with the critters involved, especially the rowdy, untrained Domino. Domino has a role to play in the plot, however, and although progress is made, it's his tracking and protective instincts that stand out. Even as much as Grandpa's dangerous snooping irked me at times, I have to admit, I found his theories were relatively well thought out given the information they had at the time. Ally seemed helpless when it came to reining in her grandfather but finds herself caught up in the sleuthing, even while trying to find ways to kick start her business back up. As a vet she seems caring and competent but is perhaps still working against a current of distrust and lack of real concern from the previous vet. The scenes in the vet offices give us some insight into what vets and vet techs deal with every day, which adds to our understanding of our own pets in a way.

Bottom line, the story was intriguing enough that I not only kept reading but will certainly be on the look out for the next in the series. Will Ally finally get that real date with Noah? Will one of the widows manage to snare Grandpa Oscar? Will Ally ever get to sleep in? Will Ally's business ever pick up enough for her to support herself being just a vet rather than juggling several odd jobs? Will Grampa ever learn to mind his own business? Oh, never mind. I know the answer to that one. Nope, no way. And as pushy and annoying as he might be, I look forward to the next adventure.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...