500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, October 5, 2024

Cabinet of Curiosities: A Historical Tour of the Unbelievable, the Unsettling, and the Bizarre, by Aaron Mahnke , Harry Marks (Contributor)

 

Publication Nov. 12, 2024

Curiously fun, pun intended. As it turned out, I read this one in bits and pieces between chores, errands, and other books. That may be the ideal way to read it. As I discovered when I pushed on reading longer, the quickness of the chapters and variety of topics made it difficult to switch gears at time. I was able to take in what I was reading much better in smaller doses than large. In other words, this is one you can pick up any time, flip to any section, read awhile, and come back to later without missing a beat. The chapters are quite short although I noted lengthier ones near the end. Not being familiar with the author's podcast, I'm not sure if these were actual scripts used in the show or slimmed down for reading. They all were easy reading and usually ended with a pun, quip, or some sort of word play. I'll note here that there is a list of the sources given at the end.

As for the stories themselves, I was actually familiar with some, such as the Edwin Booth tale, but most were unfamiliar to me. One of my favorites was early on about the attempted assassination of Theodore Roosevelt. Quite a bit more detail than I recalled reading in the past, so a boon to this history major and fan of TR. Lots of familiar names will pop up but, be aware, you may not know that name until the end, such as the tales of Agatha Christie, Shakespeare, or, say, the weird connection of the coat in Wizard of Oz. I didn't take time to calculate but would say that many of the stories are actually about little known or even unknown people like the jockey who died astride as his horse won a steeplechase or the poor pilot sucked out of an airplane after the windshield went bye-bye. Amazingly, he survived thanks to quick, strong friends. There are also any number of war related tales, some about humans, some featuring animals (yes, several doggie tales within). Eerie mysteries are always fun and there are quite a few, as well as stories featuring strange coincidences, and, well, many, many more topics. It's a fun, quirky collection of tales where, if you're not taken by one, you can just move on a page or two and be into another tale.

Bottom line, if you're looking for an intriguing diversion that doesn't necessarily demand huge chunks of your time all at once, this book may be for you. It was largely an easy read. I'm thinking I may need to find his podcast and give it a listen. Entertaining and, yes, strange, or even bewildering. Some may have you shaking your head while muttering "No way!" but you'll find something to grab your interest here, I'm thinking, if you are the curious type. Thanks #StMartin'sPress for giving me early access to this diverting read. Now I need to go check out some composers 9th symphonies. Grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Feta Watch Out, by Linda Reilly

  Publication Nov. 19, 2024 I came for the mystery and stayed for the characters. Okay, the characters and all the grilled cheese mentions. ...