500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A Holiday Homicide (A Secret Bookcase Mystery #4), by

 

Publication Nov. 20, 2024

This has quickly become a favorite series. The author does an excellent job catching you up on what's gone before in just the first chapter with snippets throughout. I honestly didn't much like Annie in the first book but as more of her past was revealed, it became understandable why she acted as she did and, hey, she has improved as the series has gone along. I'm still not quite sure she has the inner core makings of a true investigator but she's definitely got the skills. 

To cut to the chase, this is really two mysteries in one. One that haunts Annie, the other currently. Even worse, in the bookstore where she works with Fletcher and Hal. A celebrity baker drops dead during the big reveal of community made gingerbread houses. Young and healthy. Why? Who'd kill her? As it turns out, more than a few. Quite frankly, I found myself more interested in the old, cold case. Maybe because it mattered so much to Annie or that the victim sounds like a much more likable person than the current one. I definitely wasn't expecting the huge reveal on the cold case near the end, that's for sure. Nor was Annie, quite frankly. It'll be fascinating to see how Annie, with the help of her former criminology professor, now town detective, and friends processes all she is finding out. Pri has her back but it was great to see the relationship between Annie and Liam Donovan getting stronger every book. As for the current case, I had an inkling (I read too many cozies) of whodunit but honestly wasn't sure until the final reveal, just not how it was done. Still thoroughly enoyed the relationships between the characters and seeing Annie's growth as both a human being and amateur sleuth. Her ties to the bookshop are strong, though, so it's a struggle between past plans and her current situation.

Bottom line, as usual, Ellie Alexander has given us a delightful, bewildering, multi-layer mystery to ponder. The characters are people we could all know and mostly like. The setting is a delight and, oh, my, the descriptions of those gingerbread creations was enough to give me a yen for gingerbread. So, kudos to the author. She not only kept my mind whirling as I read but made me hungry for something I normally wouldn't be craving. Thanks #StormPublishing for allowing me this early peek into life with Annie and all those who make the Secret Bookcase shop so memorable. It left me craving the next book, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Kitten Caper: A Cozy Animal Mystery (Ruff McPaw Mysteries Book 10), by Max Parrott

  Publication Oct. 23, 2024 One would think running a Christmas tree ranch would be a relatively carefree, safe life, right? Wrong. The vict...