500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

My First How to Catch the Sandman, by Alice Walstead, Joel Selby (illustrator), Ashley Selby (illustrator)

 

Publication Sept. 3, 2024

While I wasn't quite as captivated by this installment in the series as with, say, the Fairy Godmother one, it was still a sweet, fun read that children will like. I noted that the print was all capital letters, too, which seemed to make it easier to read, go figure, which I think would be a plus for children reading the book on their own. The illustrations are colorful and detailed enough to hold a child's attention as they look to see what little goodies their eyes can spy on the pages will not weighting them down. In other words, like the Sandman, they were light enough to fly. Light enough to weave dreams. I particularly liked that the author, well, Sandman says that if you open your mind, there are many, many different dreams to choose from. I liked the imagined choices. 

My only real disappointment was in not seeing more of the whimsy of the traps children might come up with to trap the Sandman. While they are noted, included childlike renderings of plans, for me they lacked the action/humor of the other books I've read in the series. That said, it's still a fun read and given the lovely, drifting clouds and stars, not to mention the shiny, bouncing and, oh, so magical dream-sand, it's a fun read and I'm betting it'll be a nighttime favorite of many children. Thanks #NetGalley and #SourcebooksKids - #wonderland for this early peek and inspiration for a lovely dream-filled night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...