500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

A Stray Dog for Christmas: How Suzy Was Adopted, by Jack Jokinen, Wendy Tan (illustrator)


 Publication Sept. 3, 2024

I realized at one point as I read that I was automatically reaching out toward my own rescue, Daisy, the namesake for my review blog. I wanted to feel the connect with her that this book made me feel for Suzy. Like the Suzy of this book, Daisy, too, was once an unwanted stray. Knowing the joy Daisy has brought into my home, it was a given that I was going to love this book. It was made even better when I realized that the author was able to use Suzy's story to help rescue other homeless dogs. In other words, a winner of a story with a wonderful impact.

I won't share the story, the blurb tells you all you need to know, but will say that it is heartwarming. It's an easy read with lots of repeated phrases, largely seen through Suzy's eyes. It was a sheer luck that not only was the author's door ajar that cold winter's night but that Suzy found her way to them. You'll smile when you see how she makes friends with George, the then current solo dog. Dogs tend to operate by instinct and Suzy's were right on. The illustrations were well done, neither too sappy nor too simple. Suzy's expressions alone show how she was able to melt hearts and win over not just George but his human family. The real life photos at the end are a fun plus.

I liked that while the author didn't elaborate what medical needs Suzy had other than malnutrition, he did emphasize the importance of her having a vet checkup as soon as possible. In other words, they mirror good pet ownership and responsibility. When you take a stray or rescue into your home, that's important as, in a way, good health helps ensure a good relationship between humans and pet. Bottom line, a great dog story that doubles as a meaningful Christmas story. A double win. Thanks #NetGalley and #SourcebooksKids for sharing this story with me. It made me feel happy, especially as I snuggled with my own one-time rescue, now queen of the house, Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...