500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, August 8, 2022

Isabel Puddles Abroad, by M.V. Byrne

 

Publication Nov. 29, 2022

What a delight it has been getting to know Isabel Puddles. I'm new to this series but found it a solid stand-alone. A trip to England, Isabel's first, good friends, scones, sightseeing, and, oh, yeah, murder. 

This one has a slow build, however, so we don't stumble across the body until nearly halfway in, but much to enjoy as we get to that point. Isabel is a delight, as are her family and friends, and I found myself warming to her British friend Teddy and Tuppence, his housekeeper, immediately. Tuppence's scone recipe is included at the end, btw, an extra treat. And, hey, there are even corgis in the book. I gave my corgi mix an extra ear scratch after discovering them on the cover.

So, who buried the body in the flower bed? Who would have wanted to kill Hyacinth? Well, as it turns out, there are quite a few likely suspects. Isabel, who was walking the corgis when they got loose and started digging in the flower bed, of course, becomes involved. Being new to the series, I don't know her relationship with the police in America but since this is the new constable's first murder case, she feels she may be helpful. But, does he feel the same? Why doesn't Teddy's sister like Isabel? Could someone have been jealous enough over a baking contest to want revenge? How seriously do people take these contests? Who is harboring secrets?

There are lots of twists and turns, not to mention red herrings, that make Isabel's first visit to England rather memorable. I mean, I've never discovered a dead body, thank goodness, while dog walking. So, how will it all turn out? Will we see more of Tuppence and Teddy in future books? I mean, there will be an ocean between them. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks for inviting me along on Isabel's overseas trip. It was great fun with interesting characters met along the way. Now that I've met Isabel, I'm looking forward to joining her on future adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...