500 Book Reviews + 500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional ReaderCamp NetGalley 2024Camp NetGalley 2025Camp NetGalley 2026Frequently Auto-Approved

Thursday, August 27, 2026

Peg and Rose Deck the Halls, by Laurien Berenson


 Publication Sept. 29, 2026

As always, this continues to be a fun series. While Peg continues to be the strong alpha of the duo, so to speak, it was quite interesting to see Rose take a more active role in the investigation. She even seems to be learning more bits about dog breeds although I'm not quite sure she's even aware of that evolution yet. Peg is a suspect in a murder that takes place during her Christmas open house party, albeit as is noted, who'd be dumb enough to murder someone in your own home with a poisoned drink you provided. I'm pretty sure the police detective gets this although some of Peg's dog club members don't seem to be as sure. Given that the victim, Jonabell Goff had managed to get on more than a few people's last nerve, there is no shortage of suspects, Doing our reader's job of playing fly on the wall, it was fun to listen in as they interviewed their prime suspects both together and apart. It was apart where Rose, with her empathy long fine-tuned as a former nun, began to shine.

I genuinely have come to like the regulars and although I think I'd prefer my doses of Peg in short bursts, even she is beginning to show a bit of a side of herself that makes her genuinely more likable. Her beloved poodles, of course, are adorable, especially loyal Hope. Rose's cat Marmalade gets some time in the spotlight, too, especially in helping a young girl feel more comfortable at the woman's shelter Rose and husband Peter, a former priest, operate. Christmas is quickly approaching and Wren, the child, is still young enough to fret that Santa Claus may not be able to find her. That side story ties in well with the overall plot as we learn abuse isn't always physical. The story moves along smoothly with the side stories and dog talk popping up regularly but not distracting from the overall story line. I did find some of the members of the Cherry Valley Kennel Club that Peg helped co-found so many years ago not to likable, I must admit. I'm looking forward to seeing how the author handles any potential changes in that regards, I have to admit. Peg's life has largely revolved around it, so finding herself on the outside looking in is disconcerting for her, especially given the murder investigation where so many believe she might have been the killer.

Bottom line, won't give away any more of the plot but will say this one works nicely as a standalone and you'll receive more of the info you need early on.  The chemistry between Rose and Peter is sweet, hope to see more of him in future stories, but Maura seems to run the show there...much to their relief, I'm sure. Learning a bit about the various dog breeds, not to mention judging through Peg's eyes at one point, is interesting and, quite frankly, gives me a whole new respect for the job dog show judges do in such a shot time, too. Thanks #KensingtonPublishing for introducing me to the Peg and Rose duo and letting me tag along virtually for an early peek at times. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peg and Rose Deck the Halls, by Laurien Berenson

 Publication Sept. 29, 2026 As always, this continues to be a fun series. While Peg continues to be the strong alpha of the duo, so to speak...