Publication Aug. 2026
Kitty and Matt are a couple I've always thought would be fun to hang out with, especially if Kitty brings Bertie along. They can leave Matt's mother at home, however. Matt's mother is not well named as Patience isn't something she has. No patience and the idea that Kitty should be home having babies and running the household, not dashing about getting involved in one murder investigation after another. It just isn't done in Patience's class and her upbringing did nothing to change her mind about a woman's place. Needless to say, neither Matt nor Kitty is looking forward to spending the expected week each year with her. Good thing they have a murder to distract them from her subtle and not-so-subtle complaints about them not living up to family (most importantly, her) expectations after Kitty and Bertie stumble across a body beside a bicycle while out for a walk.
I don't want to go into the plot much further except to remind readers this one takes place in England. The year is 1938. Investigations, even when under the best circumstances, move slower. In this case, they're not only running headlong into, well, expectations, but they initial client was Betty, who asked them to look into finding out what happened to Bradley Lewis, brother of Betty's current beau. A beau who just happens to be Inspector James Lewis who isn't fond of either Matt nor Kitty. Bradley has gone missing, however, and I'm sure crafty readers can figure out whose body Kitty discovered. There's quite a list of suspects, too, including two women who thought Bradley loved them.. Then there's the unplanned, highly disgraceful at the time pregnancy tracing back to, oh, you guessed it, Bradley. And, oh, yeah, there's a missing police officer thrown into the mix just to make it extra interesting. There's a conspiracy theory, too, one that will take you on a bit of a roller coaster ride as it progresses. I found it a tad confusing but it held together without being a real distraction.
Bottom line, I enjoyed this virtual time travel trip back to 1938. True, I don't think I'd like to have lived then,especially knowing what is about to come historically, but the times were definitely intriguing and it's amazing to look back at how life has changed. Matt and Kitty are likable and cocker spaniel Bertie's ability to lead Kitty to dead bodies seems to never waver. It was interesting to see to interactions between Patience and, well, just about everyone else. I'm sure Matt's father's name must have been mentioned somewhere but if it was, I missed it, though that's perhaps an indicator of who ruled the family. Inspector Lewis grew on me as we learned a bit more about his background and family life. There's definitely more than a bit of a cliffhanger at the end that probably foretells related adventures (and danger). Kitty and Matt do seem to have the knack of stumbling across the deranged ones. On that note, thanks #Bookouture for allowing me this early bit of a virtual time travel trip to catch up with Kitty and Matt. I bet they are more than happy to be at home despite that note.

No comments:
Post a Comment