500 Book Reviews + 500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional ReaderCamp NetGalley 2024Camp NetGalley 2025Camp NetGalley 2026Frequently Auto-Approved

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Eltie Takes the Lead: A Guide Dog's Tail, by Molly Burke

 

Publication Oct. 13, 2026

AUDIO, about 15 min. 

Both teaches and entertains us as we read/listen. Since I had the audio version, read by the author, it allowed me to experience the story as a blind person might. As such, the narration varies a bit from the norm. Not only do we get the story but a voice then describes the illustrations as they might to a blind person right down to the yellow clip in Molly's hair to fun visions of Eltie dressed as a fireman rescuing a cat in a tree and more without being disruptive in any way. The actual book, I read, actually contains not only examples of Braille but features a slightly roughened page somehow demonstrating Eltie's furry coat. I kinda wished I'd had a hard copy in my hand to experience these little nuances/pluses, gotta admit.

While I was initially drawn by the cover, which is nicely described in the audio, by the way, I came away thoroughly impressed with the thought and effort that went into pulling the whole together. The fact the illustrator, Ziyue Chen is deaf added another level to the efforts at inclusion. While the story of Molly and Eltie's typical day at school isn't profound, it pulls you into the story as most of us can remember our school days and the normal, everyday activities that we simply took for granted. It was particularly nice to see how Molly's schoolmates were both involved and respectful of the boundaries set in relationship with sharing space with Eltie. 

Bottom line, this would be an excellent addition to just about any library, personal or public. My thanks to #RBmedia for making this audio available to me early. While I have taught deaf students and even learned some sign language in the process, I've never taught a blind student, so this was informative. The added info on how we should interact with service dogs of any kind is a plus, too, as they are quite common in certain locales. I recently even got to share a waiting room with one who behaved just like Eltie. Curled up at its owners feet but alert. In any case, hope to see more stories of Molly and Eltie in the future. Since the author herself is blind and has had multiple guide dogs, I'm hopeful she'll share a few more examples of life with a service dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eltie Takes the Lead: A Guide Dog's Tail, by Molly Burke

  Publication Oct. 13, 2026 AUDIO, about 15 min.  Both teaches and entertains us as we read/listen. Since I had the audio version, read by t...