500 Book Reviews + 500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional ReaderCamp NetGalley 2024Camp NetGalley 2025Frequently Auto-Approved

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Murder Stage Left (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery, #26), by Verity Bright

 

Publication Aug. 26, 2026

England, 1926. This is another one of my favorite series. You know, one of those that as a reviewer I request without checking the blurb, number of pages, or that sorta thing. I've never yet been disappointed. In this case, what might seem a relatively simple case, tracking down who has been stealing items from the Shakespeare Memorial theatre, quickly gets far, far more complicated. Lady Eleanor and husband Hugh Seldon have barely arrived when a fire breaks out in the theatre and a body is discovered. I won't ruin the fun of trying to sort out the clues yourself but will say it involves, rivalries, old grudges, arson, theft, and, uh, time in cuffs. Nope, not telling. That'd ruin it for you. Grin.

The detective trio made up of Eleanor, Hugh, and the incredibly knowledgeable Clifford are joined by Eleanor's "aprons", the friends and ladies that make her inherited home of Henley Hall home. You'll hear more of it and taxes, btw, as you read. Despite her title, Eleanor has the same money worries of many of that time and, well, as the book reminds us, what Twain said, that nothing is certain but death and taxes. So, this job was timely for them. I've come to enjoy the company of our trio and still marvel that Clifford isn't only seemingly the perfect butler but is such a virtual fountain of knowledge but seems to be a know what is needed before they do. It's been fun to see the relationship change to one of equals among the three, too, albeit Clifford hasn't quite shed his ingrained sense of "butler-ness". Hugh has grown, too, showing more and more signs of not allowing himself to be totally restricted by what his former job at Scotland Yard would deem acceptable to doing whatever is necessary to solve cases and, in most cases, bring a murderer to justice. Eleanor's ladies are an absolute delight and have their own set of skills, which tend to be focused on ferreting out info while seemingly being nothing but chatty ladies interested in the latest gossip. In other words, I enjoy the entire group and always count it a perk when the ladies are a big part of the investigation.

Bottom line, I enjoyed this installment and am ready for the next. We get what may be a big hint of what that will involve at the end, too, not to mention progress ... hopefully .... toward finally sorting out what really happened to Eleanor's parents so long ago.  You'll also pick up quite a bit of info on not only William Shakespeare but his father John's occupation. I'm not telling but it was known as a whittawer, Be sure to read the author's historical notes. They're always a favorite section for me and, shh, I have to admit to frequently jumping ahead to them before finishing the book. No, they don't give away the ending but my brain cells get caught up in wanting to know more about the reality of events. Thanks #Bookouture for introducing me to Eleanor and her circle of friends. I've come to feel like they're old friends and always enjoy my virtual visits. Maybe they'll give me a taste of a Shooter's Sandwich? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder Stage Left (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery, #26), by Verity Bright

  Publication Aug. 26, 2026 England, 1926. This is another one of my favorite series. You know, one of those that as a reviewer I request wi...